A new hero has arrived on Dota 2 last December — Monkey King a.k.a. Sun Wukong. He is an agility hero who is known for his slippery nature and his love for mischief, tricking his enemies by turning into various objects. Armed with his magical staff, he has now come to Dota 2 to join the roster of heroes in the battlefield.
Let’s get to know more about Monkey King:
- Monkey King is the first original hero made by Valve for Dota 2. His name, lore and abilities are all based on the mythical character Sun Wukong, the legendary hero of the classic Chinese novel titled “Journey to the West.”
- In the game, he called his staff Jingu Bang. This is also based on the novel where Monkey King wields the Ruyi Jingu Bang, a flexible magical staff he uses to fight his enemies. The Jingu Bang is also based on the in-game item, Monkey King Bar.
- Monkey King is the first and only champion that can perch atop a tree thanks to his ability, Tree Dance. While up the tree, the enemy can’t touch him unless they cut it off. If it gets destroyed, Monkey King will fall to the ground and get stunned for four seconds.
- Known as the King of Mischief, Sun Wukong can change shape to deceive his opponents, using his environment as his inspiration for disguise. He can transform as an animal courier, iron branch, clarity, healing salve, tango, and town portal scroll. He can even change into a banana.
- His ability Mischief can allow him to transform into the Aegis of the Immortal when casting in the Roshan Pit.
- His ultimate skill Wukong’s Command allows him to create a circular formation of his clones that attack opponent heroes. This skill is actually based from one of the Monkey King magical powers from the novel, where he creates clones of himself from his hair, pulling it from the back of his head and blows it in the wind.
- Another of Monkey King’s skills that have a reference to the novel is Mischief. In Dota 2’s Chinese client, it is called “七十二变, Qī shí èr biàn” or the “Seventy-two Transformations.” In the novel, Sun Wukong can change into numerous forms.
- Unknown to many, Monkey King’s concepts was initially considered for Phantom Lancer. That’s why his design has similarities to the latter.
- The Monkey King concept has been widely used throughout the MOBA genre. Monkey King heroes have appeared in games like Heroes of Newerth, Strife, and SMITE. In League of Legends, there is a champion known as Wukong which shares a similar concept as the Monkey King.
- In Dota 2’s Chinese client, Monkey King is voiced by Chinese voice actor is Shihong Li, who also gave voice to the same character in the famous 1986 TV show, Journey to the West.
Monkey King’s character is already available in Dota 2. If you want to check him out and try his skill in-game, download the latest update on your PC or gaming laptops via Steam.