If there’s one graphic game making rounds on the internet these days, it’s Dontnod Entertainment’s Life Is Strange. After receiving favorable reviews and several awards including BAFTA Games Award for Best Story and Game of the Year from Polygon, a digital TV series based on the game is now being developed by Legendary Studios and Square Enix.
But what is the game really about? And how did it able to catch the hearts of gamers worldwide? Well, that is why we decided to create this game review.
Life is Strange is a five episode graphic video game from Dontnod Entertainment. Its first episode was released on Steam last January 30, 2015. The other four episodes were released throughout 2015.
The game follows the story of Maxine Caulfield, a photography senior of Blackwell Academy. After waking up from a frightening vision, Max discovers she can rewind back time and redo any action that has been done. After saving her childhood friend Chloe Price, the two soon find themselves investigating the mysterious disappearance of a fellow student named Rachel Amber. However, the pair is unaware of the darkness lurking in Arcadia Bay and the secrets that the people around them hide. Meanwhile, Max must also discover how her power is related to the vision she has dreamt of–and that she may be the reason behind the imminent catastrophe.
- Maxine Caulfield, better known as Max, is an aspiring photographer and a senior student of Blackwell Academy. After saving her friend, Chloe Price, she discovered she could travel back time and change the past.
- Chloe Price is Max’s partner-in-crime and best friend. She is a stubborn and rebellious young woman, characterized by her punk aesthetic and blue-dyed hair.
- Warren Graham is a good friend of Max, who also has a crush on her. He tries to help Max as he can and protects her from danger throughout the game.
- Rachel Amber is a popular student of Blackwell Academy and a dear friend of Chloe Price. She disappeared one day without any clue to where she is.
- Mark Jefferson is a photography teacher in Blackwell Academy. He appears to be a charming and charismatic man. However, no one knows about the secrets he hides in his dark room.
Life is Strange is a third-person perspective graphic game. The game allows the player to rewind time and change any action that past. You can examine objects and solve problems. Items collected during before you activate your time-travel abilities will be kept in the inventory after the act.
The game lets you interact with other non-playable characters in Arcadia Bay, but remember that each of these dialogues and how you choose to answer can affect the entire story. Each of these choices can cause short or long-term consequences.
Life is Strange is a masterpiece, an exceptional example of how video games can turn into an incredible work of art. And the best thing about this game is that it lets you create your choices, which can change the entire outcome of the game. This element is what makes it perfect and give a realistic feeling to its player. But this is also made possible the well-developed characters introduced in the game, with different personalities and inner demons. And with the help of these characters, the developers were able to tell this beautiful tale that leaves an impression to anyone who plays it.
The game is a masterful blend of all things that makes a graphic novel “unforgettable”. From its plotline, characters, to its well-utilized episodes and incredible soundtracks, the game will surely win a spot in your heart.
If you haven’t tried the game yet, why not give it a try? The game is available on Steam for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux PC and gaming laptops. Plus, its first episode is for free. Get it now!
Travel back in time and change the past.